When we enter into any matter, we assemble a team of lawyers who understand the complexities surrounding international business.
Our international team, made up of more than 130 lawyers, provides a range of services on international transactional, commercial, financial, investment and dispute resolution matters.
Experienced international team
Our international team, comprised of more than 130 multi-national lawyers who are fluent in numerous languages, including:
Our international team includes lawyers who have held senior positions within the U.S. government and international organizations.
- U.S. State Department Treaty Negotiator for the UNCITRAL project on cross-border insolvency
- Section Chief at a U.N. Security Council agency
- Founder and Chairman of the California-Russia Trade Association
Our lawyers were also involved in preparing books and other work in support of the NAFTA negotiations.
International strength through integrated structure
We have the capabilities to meet your international legal needs—from tax structures for international ventures to commercial agreements, from cross-border acquisitions and divestitures to customs matters and export law compliance. In addition, we have a host of other service areas to help you with your international needs.
Explore some of our firm's service areas related to our international team:
We have played a leading role in the international energy industry since the founding of our legal team 90 years ago. Our energy team spans all sectors of the industry. From deepwater exploration to power plant financing, we have represented more than 1,000 energy-related clients.
Rated as one of the Top 10 firms for IP counsel and litigation by general counsel from the Fortune 250, we have extensive experience in representing a diverse group of domestic and international businesses and inventors. As one of the largest concentrations of IP lawyers in the United States, we are prepared to vigorously protect clients' copyrights, patents, trade secrets, trademarks or related interests.
Our lawyers are experienced in confronting the issues that may arise when planning and constructing a project anywhere in the world. We provide support to both U.S. and international developers, project owners, lenders and institutional investors. From toll roads to telecommunications, we have laid the groundwork for financing infrastructure projects throughout the world. We have worked on more than 200 power financings, representing more than US$45 billion in funding in the U.S. and more than 22 countries around the world.
Our firm is rated consistently as one of the top litigation firms in the world and has successfully represented clients in thousands of jury trials, non-jury trials and arbitrations. Many of our trial lawyers have been selected for fellowships in such prestigious professional organizations as the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
The American Lawyer ranked the firm as one of the world's 17 "Arbitration Elite." We are consistently rated as one of the top litigation firms. We were also named by our peers as one of the top U.S. legal teams for dispute resolution in the Global Counsel 2004-2005 Dispute Resolution Handbook.
Our lawyers frequently serve as client advocates or arbitrators under the following rules of international arbitral institutions:
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- International Chamber of Commerce in Paris (ICDR)
- CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution
- Cairo Regional Arbitration Center
- Center for Arbitration in Mexico (CAM)
- Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Federation Internationale des Ingenieurs et Consuls (FIDIC)
- Hong Kong Arbitration Center
- Inter-American Commercial Arbitration Commission (IACAC)
- International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes at the World Bank (ICSID)
- International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration (ICC)
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Stockholm Chamber of Commerce
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
Our cross-border counsel network
We have developed an extensive network of relationships with firms throughout the world that can assist with "host" country legal issues. As a result, we are able to recommend and work seamlessly with in-country counsel.
We invite you to explore our other areas of service and the dozens of industries we serve. For more information concerning our international team and information regarding representative clients, please contact either Jeffrey A. Blount or Mark Baker, or any of the other lawyers in the International team.
- We ranked among the Top 50 Transatlantic Elite by The Lawyer. (2009)
- Chambers Global lists the firm China team among the top in the world for handling corporate/mergers and acquisitions in China.
- Chambers Global lists the firm among the top legal practices in the world for handling projects and energy matters in Asia Pacific.
- Four of our lawyers Named World's Leading Project Finance Lawyers.
- Our Linda Addison and Mark Baker are listed as two of the 100 Most Influential Lawyers in America by National Law Journal. (2006)
- We received the first-ever Client Choice Award from the International Law Office, the official online media partner of the International Bar Association (IBA) and an international media partner to the Association of Corporate Counsel. Based on survey responses received from more than 1,000 corporate counsel, we were named as the top legal practice for client service in the United States.