Mark Faccenda is a senior associate in the Washington, D.C. office. As part of the firm's Health Care Practice Group, Mark has represented health care industry clients on regulatory and transactional matters. Representative clients include pharmaceutical manufacturers, academic medical centers, health systems, physician groups, physician/hospital joint ventures, long-term care facilities and durable medical equipment suppliers.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark worked for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives Legislative Office for Research Liaison where he conducted economic and health care regulatory research in support of prospective legislation. As part of his work for the Legislative Office for Research Liaison, Mark authored and contributed content to the University of Pittsburgh Institute of Politics' quarterly Institute of Politics Report and its annual policy briefing, the Institute of Politics Status Report.
Mark also worked for payer and provider sides of an integrated health system where he drafted corporate policies and provided legal research focusing on HIPAA, ERISA, EMTALA, same-sex benefit coverage and the Peer Review Protection Act.
- Counsel on federal and state health care regulatory matters including fraud and abuse, Stark III, Medicare Conditions of Participation and prospective payment
- Analysis of proposed regulations and draft of public comments; analysis of proposed and recently adopted statutes pertaining to health care reimbursement and related compliance matters
- Counsel on HIPAA and FTC privacy regulation applicability to pharmaceutical and device manufacturers, internet-based platforms and related third-party contractors, and communications providers
- Counsel on transactional matters between pharmaceutical manufacturers and group purchasing organizations
- Execution of mergers and acquisitions by and among institutions of all levels of the health care industry
- Draft of proposed state regulations pertaining to long-term care facilities
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Co-author with Yvonne Puig, "Economic Credentialing: A Balancing of Risks" AHLA Enterprise Risk Management Handbook for Healthcare Entities, Second Edition (2013)
- Co-author, "HHS Releases Long-Awaited HIPAA Omnibus Regulations," Fulbright Briefing, January 22, 2013
- Co-author, "Obama Administration Proposes ACA Regulations," Fulbright Alert, November 21, 2012
- Author, "Obligations in Response to a Health Care Data Security Breach," American Bar Association / BNA Books, E-Health, Privacy and Security Law, Second Edition (2012)
- Co-author, "Federal Agencies Coordinate in the Issuance of Much-Anticipated Guidance on Accountable Care Organizations," Fulbright Briefing - Accountable Care Organization Task Force, April 5, 2011
- Co-author with Thomas E. Dowdell and Denise Webb Glass, "Telehealth Technology Opportunity for Certain Rural Providers," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, March 4, 2011
- Co-author with Lara Parkin, "Meaningful Use – What Does it Mean to You?," ABA Health Law Section, The Health Lawyer, February 2011
- Co-author with Lara Parkin, "CMS Publishes Final Rule Implementing Meaningful Use Standards for EHR Incentive Payments," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Alert, July 13, 2010
- Co-author with John Kelly, "Interim Final Rule Creates New Penalties for HIPAA Violations," HCCA's Compliance Today, March 2010
- Co-author with Yvonne Puig, "Economic Credentialing: A Balancing of Risks" AHLA Enterprise Risk Management Handbook for Healthcare Entities (2009)
- "Eliminating Health Disparities: Addressing Minority and Rural Community Issues," Institute of Politics Status Report, University of Pittsburgh Institute of Politics, September 2002
- Co-presenter, "Medical Records Law in Virginia," Lorman Education Services Seminar, May 1, 2013
- Co-presenter, "Implementation of the HIPAA / HITECH Omnibus Rule: Is Your Hospital Ready?" Texas Hospital Association web seminar, April 9, 2013
- Panelist, "Washington Health Care Update – ACA Implementation, the Fiscal Cliff and Anti-Fraud Enforcement Initiatives," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Ninth Annual Health Law Symposium, Austin, TX, January 31, 2013
- Co-presenter, "HIPAA Omnibus Regulations: They're Here (Finally)…Now What?" Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. web seminar, January 25, 2013.
- Moderator, "Medicare's Revalidation Requirements: Update on Enrollment Procedures for Providers and Suppliers," American Bar Association web seminar, March 15, 2012
- Co-presenter, "The Final ACO Rules: What Changed, What Didn't and Where Do We Go From Here?," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. web seminar, November 2, 2011
- Co-presenter, "The Wait Is Over: Federal Agency Pronouncements on Accountable Care Organizations," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. web seminar, April 20, 2011
- Co-presenter, "HITECH Rules on Meaningful Use, EHR Standards, Privacy and Security," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. web seminar, August 4, 2010
- Co-presenter, "Medicare as Secondary Payer: Resolving and Reporting Cases with Beneficiaries," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. web seminar, September 29, 2010
- Co-presenter, "Health Care Reform, Finding Funding: Medicare and Medicaid Payment Reforms," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. web seminar, April 21, 2010
- "New Developments in Staffing and Safe Patient Lifting Regulations," Philadelphia & Suburban Healthcare Human Resources Association Seminar, May 16, 2008
- Co-presenter, "Medical Records Law: Record Retention and Risk Management," Lorman Education Services Seminar, March 19, 2008
- "Incorporation of Nonprofit Corporations," Philadelphia VIP Pro Bono Opportunities Day, October 25, 2007
- "The Constitution and the Power of the State to Protect an Unborn Child from a Drug-Addicted Mother," Allegheny County Bar Association Health Law Section, December 10, 2004
2005 - J.D., University of Pittsburgh
2005 - M.H.A., Health Administration, University of Pittsburgh
1995 - B.S., Biology, Pennsylvania State University
Mark is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and in the District of Columbia.
- District of Columbia